cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Entertainment pass

I would appreciate some clarification.   I bought a NOW TV box from John Lewis last week.   It came with a 3 month ent. pass voucher.    To activate the box I had to enter the voucher code.   This prompted the start of a 14 day trial.

I do not want to pay any subscription for any pass and so  I will want to cancel before the 14 day period is up.   My understanding is that I shall continue to be able to use the box for streaming its standard apps without paying any subscription.

My Account today says I can 'appy' the voucher but have only 10 days of the trial period left.   This suggests to me that by entering the voucher code I did not, contrary to what I thought, start to use up any of the 3 month period.  I certainly have not used any of the pass's entertainment offering.  

Given that the supplier John Lewis supplied me with both box and pass and that the voucher expires 1 year after purchase (according to the packaging), am I correct in believing that I do not start to redeem the voucher until I click 'apply' and from that time only do I have 3 months use of the pass and then only upon expiry of that pre-paid period does a subscription automatically kick-in with NOW?

If that is correct, am I also correct in believing  that whether or not I cancel before the 14 day trial period is up has no bearing in relation to any further payment due from me as in both situations, no further payment can arise until after 3 months of the date of applying the pass or 1 year from purchase whichever the earlier?

Or am I missing something and there is a reason why I do need to definitely cancel before the end of the 14 day trial?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yes, that right, choose the 'I don't want my contract free pass' option and keep going to the end and that will cancel your 14 day trial (you may find they try to offer you other offers to stay but you can decline them). 

As for your 3 month code, you can apply that anytime within 12 months of the date of purchase of your box, so just remember to keep it in a safe place and decide when you want to use it.

Cancelling the free trial only stops it renewing, it doesn't affect your ability to use your code at a later date.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you don't cancel the 14 day trial it will automatically renew into a paid pass and you will be charged for that. If you don't want that to happen you need to go to your My Account > My Passes page and click the Cancel button next to the trial and follow all the steps to the end.

http://account.nowtv.com/passes

You will still get the rest of the days left on your 14 day trial after you've cancelled so you can go ahead and do that now, no need to wait until near the end.

With regards your 3 month code that came with the box, this is valid for 12 months from date of purchase, so it's up to you when during that 3 months you apply it. Whenever you want the 3 months to begin go to your My Passes page again, click the apply a voucher code link and enter the code. Your 3 months will then start straight away.

If you don't cancel that 3 month offer it will renew into a normal month pass at the end of the 3 months and you will be charged accordingly. So again if you don't want this to happen cancel it anytime during the 3 months. You don't need to wait until the end, cancel anytime and you can still watch the remainder of your time as normal (so personally I would cancel as soon as you've applied it).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks very much. I must say that I am very happy with the box although I do have two points of what I think is valid criticism of Sky and John Lewis.

I first note that it is not until the box has been brought into actual use that you can see exactly what apps are available for free which is hardly transparent by Sky for the purpose of deciding whether to purchase in the first instance.

Secondly, I bought from John Lewis under its contractual terms and conditions which was for a 30 day trial
http://www.johnlewis.com/now-tv-smart-tv-box-with-3-month-entertainment-pass-black/p2325225
yet, contrary to this, activation of the box required me to have a NOW account which could only be obtained by me taking part in a lesser 14 day trial. From what you say, were I to do nothing, this would seem to me to result in an extra 16 days payment being sought by Sky.

Since I will be cancelling though during the 14 days, and since I am happy with the box, this does not affect me.

Or have I misunderstood?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

NOW TV mainly market the box on the back of having access to NOW TV plus the catch-up apps from BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 so that's what tends to get mentioned in the marketing blurb and on the NOW TV website http://www.nowtv.com/tv-boxes and as there are over 50 apps it's impractical to list them all on retailer websites. There is a full list available on the NOW TV help page for those that are interested though

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Available-apps-NOW-TV-Box

As for the 30 day trial, you are right it is mentioned on the JL listing but  it's always been a 14 day trial (except for a long time ago when it used to be a 30 day trial for movies only) so they've made a mistake with their listing. I'll copy @Anonymous User from the NOW TV Team in - I'm not sure how much of a dialogue they have with JL but they might want to inform them of the error. The 14 days is mentioned clearly on the NOW TV website though so people should know that's what they are getting when they sign up.

Anyway glad you are enjoying your box! 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the very full reply

Best wishes
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User and @Andy,

Thank you both for bringing that page to my attention. 

I've passed this onto our marketing team so they can investigate it further with John Lewis and amend it asap.

Thanks!

Ryan
NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Andy

As I find it very easy to misunderstand and thus make a mistake, and just to be sure, do you agree I should press the 'I don't want my contract free pass' button meaning that I won't be charged any further unless I buy a NEW pass?

However, as I have not yet applied my 3 month Entertainment Pass - at least I don't think I have because My Account says under that heading I can 'Apply a voucher' (which I assume means the same one I have used to open My Account??) and have not yet streamed any non-standard entertainment  - I can still press that application voucher at any time within 3 months of expiry of the one year period from opening My Account and still get the full use of the Pass, ie. cancelling my contract free pass does not mean cancelling my unused entertainment voucher??

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yes, that right, choose the 'I don't want my contract free pass' option and keep going to the end and that will cancel your 14 day trial (you may find they try to offer you other offers to stay but you can decline them). 

As for your 3 month code, you can apply that anytime within 12 months of the date of purchase of your box, so just remember to keep it in a safe place and decide when you want to use it.

Cancelling the free trial only stops it renewing, it doesn't affect your ability to use your code at a later date.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This seeming solution continues to confuse!

I have done as agreed but NOW are telling me on screen that it's goodbye for now,  I can use my entertainment month pass - it was for 3 months - is cancelled and that I can use it for another 9 days.   I can apparently re-start for another £6.99 a month.

Nothing in what is said suggests I can continue to use my 3 month, now cancelled pass, within one year!

What on earth is going on?   I am only trying to understand the use of what I thought is plain English!

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Anonymous User

Hopefully I can clear things up a little!

From what you've posted, it sounds like you've signed up to the Entertainment Pass free trial, then cancelled it. If so, the pass will end 14 days from when you signed up.

Regarding the 3 month voucher code: If you haven't applied this code yet, you can still do this whenever you like! For up to a year after the purchase of your box.

(The my passes page won't show any info about your voucher code until after you've applied it)

If you're concerned at all about the status of your account, please hop onto Live Chat and they'll be able to grab any details for you.

Thanks,

Jason