cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

A technical question

I've always wondered how now tv really works. Does it pick up the satellite signals then pump them down the lines like what happens over at virgin at its head ends or does it all come from a central computer down in Isleworth? (Sky HQ)  

Does all of the devices connect to the same stream at the same time and just decrypt it directly on the device or is this done elsewhere eg are the channels always being pumped into the devices such as a now tv box then when we connect to the channel is the loading just our subscriptions decrypting the channels.

3 REPLIES 3
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

It would seem you're referring to Now TV's 'live streaming' service. Yes?

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User since the TV broadcast is sent from the ground to the satellite and then from satellite to relevant receiving locations (dishes) for people watching Sky, I personally doubt that Now would need to use the satellites.  As part of Sky, I suspect that they can get their programs at ground level. Obviously I don't know for fact but when was last time Now posted there would be a problem with their service due to the weather, we all know bad weather can impact satellite dishes.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

SMD, you may not believe this but, bad weather can, and does, affect Internet transmission as well.  In other words, there is nothing that is immune to the British weather.

UK Bob