462 REPLIES 462
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What other service have it? :s

I only know Netflix but what other service do provide subtitles? :s

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tom

I don't have any hearing issues. Do I think it is ok to have a streaming service which does not provide access to everyone regardless of whether they have such issues ? - No, it is not ok.

I am stunned that the company has not committed itself to remedying this problem. To point out there are technical difficulties is one thing, but to talk as if this was just one possible option which may or may not be introduced is to show some ignorance of the moral and legislative framework of this country.

The right to equal access to web based multimedia services is already etablished in law and if the company fails to take action to guarantee those rights are upheld there are only two possible outcomes:

EITHER:  1.  It will find itself in court in what could become a long and expensive case

OR:        2. It will be found guilty in the court of public opinion, with all that means for its popularity and ultimately, its profitability. Do not imagine for a moment that this is only an issued for people with hearing issues. It is an issue about equality - I wouldn't consider for a moment subscribing to a service that didn't recognise the primacy of these values and there are plenty of others who think the same way.

Of course this goes way beyond the personal Tom, and I am sure you are a professional and will not take my comments amiss. You will assist the company greatly if you point out to them, as I'm sure you have already done - the gravity of this problem. It's rather surprising to me, that in this day and age, the issue has not already had a higher profile. Now TV would sensible not to assume that this good fortune will last indefinitely.

Regards, Graham

Anonymous User
Not applicable
You have put this point into such great words, thank you. Netflix is the only provider attempting to cater to the hard of hearing like myself. I can't even watch any sky ondemand content as that has no subtitles, only shows broadcasted.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Like many of your customers, i purchased the NOW TV Box only to find to my dismay a lack of support for subtitles or close-coupled captions, and yes i am hard of hearing, particularly so with American films ( their actors seem to be well ttrained in the art of muttering and poor annuciation). Due to your comment that subtitles may not even be developed for the service i agree with others that this is FLAGRANT DISCRIMINATION, i begin to wonder if we the discrimated could collectively use the law and sue on that basis? How about printing on the package cover that subtitles are not supported potential customers could then make a better decision as to whether to purchase or not?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I'm afraid I don't believe it's possible to escalate this thread anymore as it has been marked as "solved".

Multi billion pound company using quite possibly the worst community software on the market. Bravo. I've already had problems with these rubbish forums with EE who use the same rubbish software.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is really poor. I am on a month's free trial at the moment but if I had paid for a pass I would be demanding my money back.

By not taking this as an important consideration you are literally throwing business away by excluding a huge number of hearing impaired customers like myself.

Shame on you in this day and age!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

i do not have hearing problems but i am not a ntaive english speaker i live in london but i am from italy and subtitles really are important to deeply feel the sense of a movie, for this reason i do not think i will subscribe after the 30 days free trial. unfortunatly Netflix had a much poorer movies offer i think for the moment i have to wait for the right streaming service.

have a nice day

Ale

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, that is what I have done. I watched LOOKING until the final episode
then cancelled. If subtitles become available then I may start again.
Barry

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Ale and Barry

Agree totally with everything you say. I cancelled after the free trial. My husband is deaf and my hearing isn't so good these days.

I wanted to see The Butler so purchased it through The Sky Store - great film! Well I think so - we just couldn't hear it properly and the film was thoroughly spoilt and a total waste of money.

Would advise anyone thinking of purchasing films just to give it the go by - it isn't worth the money or the aggravation.

It is beyond belief that a company like Sky have produced such a ridiculous service such as The Now TV Box without subtitles.

I hope it isn't a 'ruse' to get people over to Sky - cos that aint going to work in my case - will go to BT before that. Unfortunately Virgin is out as we have no cable in our road.

I believe Amazon are bringing a box out - will be interesting to see if they have subtitles.

Best wishes to you both
Jan

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh Yet another very unhappy customers in which I and many other deaf and hard of hearing people are sad that our disabilities is regards as low priority or unimportant and there are many companies that are making money out of us consumers - without us you will not have any business nor making money.  And there is the Disabiltity Act and the BSL equality act and so on and there stated that there must be accessibilty for sign language users.

I do not understand what is the issue or the problem with not able to provide subtitles.  I cannot find anything that give us a real and prodcutive reason for not giving us what we desire so that we can be equal to others.

I bought a brand new TV and bought it for the smart for my dear disabled/deaf son (dependant in a wheelchair) for his 14th birthday and a reward for all the hard work he done at school which he is about to embark on his studies of GSCE's in sept,  We got the offer from LG promo of 3 month free movies pass.  So excited to find that it is pretty useless without subtitles!!! So what should you do about it???? Please could you put in clearly on all your website and print that there are no subtitles to stop us buying it and wasting our time and money on the greed of the rich!